Eating Disorder Support Forum banner
  • This website may include conversations, media, and content around topics relating to eating disorders, trauma, addiction, and mental health. Please be aware that this content may be upsetting, difficult, or triggering for some. EDSF is intended as a place of safety. If you or someone you know is struggling with an eating disorder, Feast-ED.org is a resource that lists the organizations set up to help.

Where did your UGW come from?

1K views 47 replies 41 participants last post by  XblushX 
#1 ·
I'm curious as to how people chose their UGWs (and yes, I realise for many this will never be enough, so for some it may be just some random number).

Some people choose round numbers or round BMIs, but others seem to have odd numbers, like 76lbs or 36.5kg or a BMI of 14.2.

So I'm curious as to how people decided their current UGW, if they have one?

For me, it's single digits when converted to pounds, and I feel like I'll be the size I want when I reach it. But the closer I get, the more I think, "no way will I look okay at that weight". But I guess that's the catch. Oh well.

Reactions: mg.mrtnz
#9 ·
35kg at my height has a calculated BMR of 1205 calories a day.

It's a BMI of 12.7, and I figure I would gain increasing up from my losing amount to 1200 to maintain, so I'd end up around 37kg, which is BMI 13.5, which seems like a good place to be. And then even if I had a medical emergency and was hospitalised for two weeks, I'd stay below the 40kg mark.

G
#10 ·
Mine is always been 49kg . Because then i was 12 or13 yr i remember seeing this number and starting to compare myself to other girls, i though i weight so much and this is then all shit begin to happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I want to be 39kg which coincidentally is a bmi of 15.Its a nice number which is half of what an obese person would be so there's that.

Also whenever my mom questions me about my weight shes all like how much do you weigh now?? You're all bones? Are you 39kg??
So I kinda wanna prove her that I'm indeed 39kg lol

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

#14 ·
firstly it was my weight at some stage

and secondly the number 40 has always sounded very clean, careful and light to me

#17 ·
well it started a lot higher but then my cousin wrote me a message and got triggered as hell so i wanted to aim lower tried to play with the number that was bit lower but it didnt feel good so i tried to lower it again and that felt awsome so yeah that is how it ended up being that number out of all the numbers there are..

#20 ·
being a taller girl I want a weight that's 2 digits because I see all these short girls at low 2 digit numbers but I know it's impossible for me without actually dying in the process so a high 2 digit number is the best I can do which is where 98lbs UGW comes from it's also 7stone and I like the number 7 🙃

#21 ·
iI's funny that for a lot of us, it's a number that just "feels good" - like, in many cases it doesn't have anything to do specifically with what that weight would look like for us (i.e. we know someone of our height at that weight that we like), we just like the number, or it's special, or it refers to something that isn't weight.

I guess it shows again that EDs so often aren't about food and weight; that's just our channel for something else even when we don't know what it is.

#22 ·
BMI 17.5 which is 53kg with my height, for 3 reasons:
1. That's what I weighed half a year ago. It felt good and my stomach was always quite flat
2. My favorite model has that BMI, looks skinny but healthy
3. It's just at the edge of the "clinical anorexia limit", so it won't be too alarming to others

I'm close though so I wonder if I'll feel like going lower when I get there

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
My ugw also came from being tall and wanting to reach the double digits. Originally it was a bmi of 14.8 which is 99lbs but of course it's always going to fluctuate because of water retention and food weight so my goal is to maintain between 95-99lbs (bmi 14.2-14.8) which honestly doesn't seem that far fetch. My lw was 102lbs (bmi 15.4) and I felt fine for the most part so

Who knows if I'll actually be content with that tho bc even at my lw I still felt average

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
All of my GWs have a special meaning. It's a coincidence that they are all in increments of 3 and that the BMIs are all in .5 increments.

GW1 is 115 because that was a number I was eating healthily and maintaining with at the beginning of this year.

GW2 is 112 because 112.5 is my LW and I want to go below it. It's also out of the teens.

GW3 is 109 because it's the underweight cutoff for my height (18.5 BMI).

GW4 is 106 because it fits in perfectly with my other GWs... lol

UGW is 103 because that is the weight of a 1960s actress who I thought was gorgeous and was major thinspo. She's also 5'4 and I'm 5'4.5 so I'll still look skinnier than her. Also, this is the cutoff BMI for an anorexia dx.

I wish I could go into the double digits and I won't feel truly skinny until I do, but it's too obvious for my family. They freak out if anyone looks "too skinny" to them and 103 is pushing the limit by a lot. Also, I study opera and my voice teachers always comment on my weight (me being small and skinny, which I don't see) but it means that they notice what I look like and are aware. So if I lose too much weight, they might give me a hard time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.