Eating Disorder Support Forum banner
  • This website may include conversations, media, and content around topics relating to eating disorders, trauma, addiction, and mental health. Please be aware that this content may be upsetting, difficult, or triggering for some. EDSF is intended as a place of safety. If you or someone you know is struggling with an eating disorder, Feast-ED.org is a resource that lists the organizations set up to help.

My bff jokes about my ed

456 views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  katie18 
#1 ·
Hey , so I was talking to my bff yesterday ( she is the only one who knows about my ed) and she just asked when was the last time I purged and that she is going to tell it my parents , and if she would tell it the people at school they would just laugh at me and that this is really dumb ( purging) and that I'm probably the only one doing this.... and idk she sometimes makes even fun of me or inside jokes around our other friends ... I mean she is my bff ( I have other friends but I don't trust them as much ) and she is the only one who knows ... I don't want to tell her that bulimia is destroying me and is controlling my life... So I just laugh and say that she is right ...Is there maybe a way how I can stop her from being so insensitive?
Thx to everyone!

#3 ·
Tell her that it makes you uncomftarble!!
Definitely agree with dgsbe on the issue. You need to confront her and let her know how it really feels for you, it's especially not cool for her to go around and tell other people your business. If you keep having to deal with things like that, you may have to distance yourself from her. I know you must feel close to her, but a real and genuine friend would understand how serious this is and never make fun of you for it.

G
#6 ·
Idk, maybe she doesn't know that it affects you or that it's serious so she just laughs it off, possibly to cheer you up. I think you should tell her how serious bulimia can be and ask her not to make fun of it anymore, if she understands she's a real friend, if not then you don't need her

#7 ·
This is abusive af and a BF should never say such things. Idk how old you both are, maybe she is still to immature to grasp this topic, but still it is important to talk. Say that her words are hurting you and make you feel sad. If she still continues, cut her off.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey , so I was talking to my bff yesterday ( she is the only one who knows about my ed) and she just asked when was the last time I purged and that she is going to tell it my parents , and if she would tell it the people at school they would just laugh at me and that this is really dumb ( purging) and that I'm probably the only one doing this.... and idk she sometimes makes even fun of me or inside jokes around our other friends ... I mean she is my bff ( I have other friends but I don't trust them as much ) and she is the only one who knows ... I don't want to tell her that bulimia is destroying me and is controlling my life... So I just laugh and say that she is right ...Is there maybe a way how I can stop her from being so insensitive?
Thx to everyone!
You seem more mature. Look, a friend doesn't do this. I think the moments she 'permits' herself to make fun of you, because she's 'B. F. F. the untouchable' is the moment she's no longer your good friend. You can slightly distance yourself from her. Your words may not touch her heart, but your silence will.

#12 ·
..she's not your friend. and i honestly don't think this can be brushed off as her just being ignorant to the fact that her actions are making you uncomfortable. a real friend would not talk to others about you behind your back, put you down in any type of way, or threaten you. let alone a "best" friend. personally, i'd drop her. but i understand if you're afraid to due to the type of threats she's been making, which is all kinds of abusive and fucked up. i wish you the best love, in whatever it is you decide to do.

Reactions: hummingbird_
#13 ·
You know what? You are better than her, if she is just going to be rude and disrespect you like that, you don't need her, because when your successful and living the life, and she hurt people for her personal needs and not living the life- than sorry for her. Stay Strong, you do not need people like her, you deserve ever inch of respect and appreciation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.