Eating Disorder Support Forum banner
  • This website may include conversations, media, and content around topics relating to eating disorders, trauma, addiction, and mental health. Please be aware that this content may be upsetting, difficult, or triggering for some. EDSF is intended as a place of safety. If you or someone you know is struggling with an eating disorder, Feast-ED.org is a resource that lists the organizations set up to help.

do you believe pickles have 0 calories and other 0 calories thoughts

242 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Lisajayne93 
#1 ·
Every time I buy pickles I scratch my head at the zero calorie thing. I know they are high in sodium and have low enough cals that brands can get away with posting 0, but it feels like a lie and I wish I could actually find out how many they have. I read a list online of almost zero calorie foods, and apples were listed on there as well, even though i know they have anywhere from 45-70 based on the apple.

What do you guys think when something says zero cals, do you feel suspicious or anxious at all? What other "zero calorie" foods do you eat?

(sorry if there is already a thread on this!)

#4 ·
Only things I truly believe are negotiable are water & black coffee/tea HOWEVER I high restrict so the ~15 cals from eating a few pickles as a snack doesn't matter as much to me, if that makes sense. Like it obvi adds up so I'm not going to lie to myself and say it doesn't matter at all, but at the end of the day, the three calories in a pickle slice will not make or break my day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
If a food is under 5 cal per serving, companies can list it as 0, and some do some don't. Pickles definitely have 2-5 cal each

Sent from my dumb face using Tapatalk

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
0 calories only seems to be an American thing from what I can gather. In Australia our labels have kilojoules, 1 cal = 4.184kj so say Diet Coke for example, America says 0 cals for a can and Australia says 5.6kj which is 1.33 cal

No food has 0 calories

Eg Australian Diet Coke label:

9b21dfe73bbbfe7355ce7b2176d96a51.jpg

Compared to American Diet Coke label
29dcb572d6ef64bc32558cd4760f08bf.jpg

I find the Aussie labels have a lot more content on them in general

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.