Eating Disorder Support Forum banner
  • This website may include conversations, media, and content around topics relating to eating disorders, trauma, addiction, and mental health. Please be aware that this content may be upsetting, difficult, or triggering for some. EDSF is intended as a place of safety. If you or someone you know is struggling with an eating disorder, Feast-ED.org is a resource that lists the organizations set up to help.

Calories in supliments?

566 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  CharlieTangoFoxtrot 
#1 ·
Hiya, I can't get it out of my head that sachets of nutrients you put in water are full of 1000s of calories, does anyone know any good ones that don't have calories. I have no idea if the one I use does but I would rather be sure.

#2 ·
if you can find an ingredients list you can check to see if theres any ingredients that would have calories! vitamins are often measured mgs—1k mgs of a vitamin (which is incredibly unlikely) that contains calories is still going to be less than 10 total. if its sweet its almost for sure sweetened with no-cal/low-cal sweetener cause health related stuff is like that at least where i am

#3 ·
No supplement is going to be thousands of kcal per serving. At most, some supplements for macronutrients can be around 100 kcal per serving. Macronutrient supplements are things like protein powder, glucose tablets, omega 3’s, flax oil or fish oil. The calories per serving will be listed on the container. Some micronutrient supplements contain calories because they’re liquid or chewable, so the carrier, so to speak, is made from sugar and/or oil. Again, the calories will be listed on the bottle. Pure micronutrients do not have calories. They do not provide energy, but have important functions in the body. Supplements that one swallows in pill form do not have calories.

As a general rule, it’s advisable for all adults to take:
2,000 IU vitamin D3 daily
2,000 mcg vitamin B12 weekly (in a sublingual form - a pill or liquid you hold under your tongue before swallowing)
250 g omega 3 fatty acids daily

The omega 3’s might be 2-3 kcal per pill. That’s negligible. These are essential nutrients that are difficult to get through diet. Please also take any other supplement that your doctor and/or dietician has recommended. They wouldn’t recommend a supplement if it weren’t necessary. These are essential nutrients which you cannot function without. They aren’t full of hidden calories. If you feel safer with pills, rather than chewables or liquids, then that’s fine. But please take them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.